Over 30 million toothbrushes are used and disposed of in Australia every year which amounts to a whopping 1000 tonnes of landfill! This doesn't even include the toothpaste tubes that accompany these 30 million toothbrushes!
These plastic toothbrushes and toothpaste containers make their way into the ocean and can have devastating effects on wildlife if they are ingested. They break down into micro plastics and marine life are tricked into thinking that it is food.
To combat this issue we have recently introduced a bamboo toothbrush - the handle of which is compostable at the end of its life.
We also thought we would share our Homemade Toothpaste Recipe that has allowed us to prevent the waste of buying traditional toothpaste. So, here it is:
Homemade Toothpaste Recipe
- 4 tablespoons of bentonite clay
- 4 tablespoons of crushed xylitol (use mortar and pestle)
- 4 teaspoons of bi-carb soda
- 4 tablespoons of organic coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 10 drops of tea tree oil (food grade)
- 25 drops of peppermint oil (food grade)
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Melt the coconut oil
- Add water and essential oils to dry ingredients and mix to combine
- Add coconut oil - work quickly to mix all ingredients together as the coconut oil will start to harden up and set (particularly if your house is as cold as mine!)
- Voila - there you have it! Homemade toothpaste - store in a glass jar :)
Shop our Eco Bamboo Toothbrush Set