Wanting to start Valentine's Day off right? Nothing get's those good vibes flowing like breakfast in bed. And, if you really want to double down, do both your lover and the environment a favour by trying our absolutely freakin' delicious, 100% vegan, zero-waste banana and oats pancake recipe.
This is a firm staple in our household. We used to make it with eggs before we made the transition to a plant-based lifestyle, however we've since tweaked the recipe to make it 100% vegan and just as delicious. Even better, if you source your dry ingredients from a bulk food store, these pancakes involve zero-waste. That's a big double-win in our books.
1 Cup Organic Berries (Frozen is better as they hold their shape while simmering)
2 tsp favourite sweetener (We love organic coconut nectar or sugar)
2 Tbsp water
Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
1 Cup Organic Oats
2 ripe bananas
1 Cup plant-based milk (Soy, Oat, Almond etc)
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Chia Egg (1Tbsp Chia Seeds + 3 Tbsp Water) or other plant-based replacer
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
This whole recipe can be made in a high quality blender like a Vitamix, or a food-processor. We use our Vitamix for literally everything.
Start the berry compote first as it needs some time to reduce into a thick syrupy consistency.
- Add frozen berries, water and sweetener to a pan. Bring slowly to the boil and reduce to a very low simmer. Stir consistently to ensure the berries are coated in the liquid.
- While the compote simmers, start cooking the pancakes.
- The compote is ready when the liquid thickly coats a spoon dipped in the mixture, around 15-20 mins on a low heat. At this point, turn the heat off and add the lemon juice stirring to combine.
- Prepare the Chia Egg first as it will require some time to activate before adding to the mixture. Combine chia seeds and water in a small cup. Mix until all the chia seeds are wet. Leave aside for 5-10mins until the mixture has thickened considerably.
- Add the Oats to the blender and process until you achieve a rough, flour-like consistency.
- Add the bananas, plant-based milk, baking soda and cinnamon to the blender and combine.
- Once the Chia Egg has reached the ideal consistency, add it to the blender and combine on a high setting.
- Allow the mixture to thicken slightly as the blended Chia Egg reacts with the rest of the pancake batter.
- Warm your pan, using a little oil or plant-based butter. Place a small dollop of batter onto the pan to test the heat. Once the dollop has a crispy base, the pan has reached the right temperature to cook.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and allow the pancakes to cook for 2-3mins each side, or until bubbles start appearing on the surface, before flipping.
This recipe makes 8-10 pancakes of about 10-15 cm in diameter. In our experience, the recipe is fairly forgiving. If you need to feed an army, are married to a 6'5" eating machine like Fred, or if you just need a post-workout, nutrient-packed protein hit, you can up the oats to 1.5 Cups and increase the Milk to 1.5 Cups.
Feel free to get creative with your pancakes. Our current favourite is layering the stack with coconut yoghurt and grated organic apples.
Let us know in the comments below how you went!